Spanish Chickpea and Kale Stew for the Instant Pot
Seeing that I have a food blog, it is no secret that I love to cook. My passion for it stemmed from my passion for good food. Sometime during my early 20s I got tired of eating the same three meals on repeat, thus began my journey into cooking. I started to read cookbooks and follow recipes, I obsessively watched the food network, I scoured food blogs and websites, and eventually I started cooking intuitively. Now, while I do enjoy cooking for myself, I find the greatest joy in cooking for others. I love to feed people. I love the act of preparing a well thought out meal and sharing food with those that matter most. This is my calling.
As much as I cook, I am not often cooked for. This is fine by me, as I enjoy even the most mundane kitchen tasks like chopping onions, or wiping down counter tops. It is a very rare treat to see someone else work their kitchen magic, to see how they create a meal, intended for me and to be shared with me.
This meal was inspired by a delicious stew my friend Erin cooked for me last month. We chatted in her charmingly cluttered kitchen, catching up on the past four months since we had last had a visit. She whisked around in front of the stove, pulling spices from the cabinets, chopping spinach leaves, and simmering chickpeas. I carefully watched her measure out the spices as I sat in excitement to taste her inspiring creation. In the end it was a lovely and soul warming stew, with flavors I don’t often use in my own kitchen. I went back for seconds, trying to capture all the flavors of the simple, but intensely flavorful broth.
On the hour long drive home I knew I had to get to work recreating my own version of her delicious stew. I went over the things I watched her add, I made a few changes, and I created something inspired by her wonderful dish. This recipe is written for the instant pot, but it can just as easily be made stove top (see the notes at the end of the recipe). I hope you will give this a try, it has become a favorite of mine.
- 1 cup of chickpeas, soaked overnight and drained (see note for stovetop version)
- 1 tablespoon oil (optional, see note)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup sherry (see note)
- 1 bunch of kale, stems removed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 slices of bread, crusts removed and cubed into 1/2'' size pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- Juice of half a lemon
- salt to taste
- Garnishes (optional): dairy free yogurt, red pepper flakes, toasted almonds, cilantro, lemon wedges
- Set Instant Pot to saute.
- When hot add oil. Add onions, stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes until starting to soften.
- Add garlic, smoked paprika, and cumin, stirring for 30 seconds.
- Add sherry, stirring for another 30 seconds.
- Add 5 cups water, drained chickpeas, saffron, and a teaspoon of salt. Stir to combine. Layer the chopped kale on top of soup, do not stir.
- Place lid on Instant Pot, with valve closed. Set to manual for 24 minutes.
- Let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release.
- Stir. Add cubed bread and lemon juice and stir again. Taste and add more salt as needed and serve with optional garnishes.
- Oil: If you don't want to use oil, add a tablespoon or two of water while sauteing onions. Add more if needed to keep from sticking.
- Sherry: If omitting sherry, decrease cooking time to 14 minutes.
- Stove top: Follow directions in a pot over medium heat, add 3 cups pre-cooked chickpeas. Stir in kale, cover and cook for 12-15 minutes. Remove lid and stir in remaining ingredients.